Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Bobcat PRSSA Presents PR Day

The GCSU chapter of PRSSA hosted a "PR Day" on November 4 from 1-5. It was an amazing day and we had a great turn out. There were amazing speakers: Cristy Williams, VP of communications with GE Money, Jena Simonds, director of communications and branding for Streamline Consultants, LLC, Keynote Speaker: Bert DuMars, VP E-Business & Interactive Marketing at Newell Rubbermaid, Katherine Mason, Account Executive with Porter Novelli. Each speaker shared their knowledge of PR and talked on different topics to give us a wide range of information.
I equally enjoyed them all and learned very valuable information. One thing I learned was how to successfully dress for the job I "want" and not the one you are asking for. Always over dress if you are unsure. I learned that you must be determined and pro active in any job. Over achieve and do beyond what is asked of you. It is important to research the company before you apply and have a knowledge of what they are about because you need to know if you would be a good fit with them just as they are wondering that about you. I have always heard it is not what you know, it is who you know, but I was proven wrong. Do not go into a job wondering who you need to get in good with. If you preform to a high standard, you will get noticed and the right people will pay attention to you. It is what you do and not who you know that is important. I learned that is OK to try and negotiate your salary, ask what you think is acceptable for you to live off of but do not be unreasonable. Mr. Bert DuMars shared very useful information about social media because he is very familiar with it. He knows it is important for everyone in the PR field to understand different types of social media because that is the direction all public relations is heading. No one is 100% sure where social media is going-it is all test and learn so as it grows, so must your knowledge of it. Being a junior, I learned that I need to start networking and trying to land as many internships as possible. I should start working on my portfolio and resume and get a head start and start applying for internships this Christmas break and next summer. They shared great insight to the internships available in their firms as well as other places to apply. Each speaker offered their contact information and told us to contact them for further help if needed which is great!
I am very glad that our PRSSA chapter was able to put on such a great session. I believe it was very helpful for all who attended and I look forward to the one next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment